Conducted by XLRI for the past 72 years, Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) is one of the largest and mandatory entrance exam for admission to XLRI Jamshedpur. Apart from XLRI, XAT scores are accepted by 160+ B-schools including XIMB, IMT, IMI, TAPMI, MICA, Great Lakes, GIM Goa among others. XAT 2023 exam date is January 8, 2023 and the exam will be conducted in a single session of 3 hours 10 minutes duration as a computer based test. XAT registrations are open from August 10 at official XAT website https://xatonline.in/ with a registration fee of Rs. 2000/-. There are a few changes introduced in XAT Registration process this year.
XAT exam full form is Xavier Aptitude Test and the XAT exam is one of the largest MBA Entrance Exams after CAT. Every year more than 1,00,000 candidates from all disciplines including Engineering, Commerce, Humanities, Science, Law apply and appear in XAT exam to get into of the various MBA programs offered by these top B-schools. Over the years, XAT exam has become an easier test but to get a high percentile (90+) in XAT 2023 exam requires 4-5 months of serious preparation.
XLRI conducts XAT exam on behalf of XAMI. For more than 72 years XLRI is conducting XAT exam at all India level to select the most appropriate students for management education. In this article, you will read all key points to plan your XAT 2023 journey, including important dates to apply for XAT 2023 exam, syllabus & pattern, how to prepare, past XAT toppers interviews and much more. You will also find important links to Free Mock Tests and genuine Past Test Papers for XAT exam, released by XLRI. So, read through the article till the end.
Table of Contents
- What is XAT Exam?
- XAT Full Form
- Who Conducts XAT Exam?
- XAT 2023 Notification
- XAT 2023 Highlights & XAT Exam 2023 Features
- XAT 2023 Important Dates
- XAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria for the Exam & For XLRI Admission
- XAT 2023 Registration Process, Fees, and Documents Required
- XAT Exam Pattern 2023: Questions, Sectional Division, Scoring
- XAT Syllabus 2023
- XAT 2023 Preparation Strategy: How to Prepare for XAT 2023?
- XAT Admit Card 2023: How to Download XAT 2023 Admit Card?
- XAT Exam Centers 2023
- XAT 2023 Answer Key
- XAT Result 2023
- XAT 2023 score Accepting Colleges
- XAT 2023 Selection Process
1. What is XAT Exam?
XAT is the Admission Test for admission to MBA/PGDM programs in XLRI and other top MBA colleges like XIMB, IMT Ghaziabad, IMI New Delhi, LBSIM Delhi, TAPMI Manipal and 160 other top MBA colleges in India. XLRI will offer admission to its PGDM programs offered in Jamshedpur and Delhi campuses on the basis of XAT exam score only and will not accept any other test score. There are more than 70 cities and more than 100 venues where XAT 2023 exam will be conducted in India. XLRI will release XAT Notification 2023 in August
2. XAT Full Form: Key Details
XAT exam full form is Xavier Aptitude Test and the exam is one of the largest MBA Entrance Exams for Admission to XLRI, IMT, XIMB, TAPMI and 160+ MBA Colleges in India. Every year more than 1,00,000 candidates from all disciplines including Engineering, Commerce, Humanities, Science, Law apply and appear in this exam to get into the various MBA programs offered by these top B-schools. Over the years, Xavier Aptitude Test has become an easier test but to get a high percentile (90+) in this exam requires 4-5 months of serious preparation.
3. Who Conducts XAT Exam?
XLRI conducts XAT exam on behalf of XAMI. For more than 70 years XLRI is conducting this exam at all India level to select the most appropriate students for management education. Last year also, despite Covid pandemic, XLRI conducted XAT exam as a centre based test in 72 cities in India.
4. XAT 2023 Notification
XAT 2023 Notification has been released by XLRI on August 9, 2022 wide a Press Release. The XAT 2023 notification contains exam information with exam date, and other related important information about the XAT Exam 2023. The notification is also released on XAT exam website xatonline.in. XAT Notification 2023 containing all the exam details, exam format, exam centres and all the exam dates is released in the leading news papers also. All the exam dates with other information and FAQs are available on MBAUniverse.com XAT exam website.
Over the years the candidates applying for Xavier Aptitude Test have increased as the data for past exam registration also reveal this fact. As per XAT Notification there are 11 member institutes and 150 Associate institutes accepting XAT exam scores. Till 2017 the exam remained a paper based test. With effect from 2018, this exam has become an online computer based test.
5. XAT 2023 Highlights & XAT Exam 2023 Features
Following are the XAT 2023 highlights with salient XAT exam 2023 features with details on the exam date, XAT notification, eligibility criteria among other key points
|XAT 2023 Test Conducting Body||Xavier School of Management (XLRI) Jamshedpur|
|Date of XAT Notification 2023||August 2022 second week|
|Number of MBA colleges accepting exam score||160+|
|Mode of XAT Exam||Computer Based Online Exam|
|XAT 2023 Registration & Application Process||Online; Simultaneously apply for entrance exam and for XLRI PGDM Programs|
|XAT Application Fee 2023||Rs.1800/-|
|XAT exam Full Form||Xavier Aptitude Test|
|XAT Cut offs 2023 for XLRI admission||96 to 97 percentile (Expected; Check last year cut offs|
|Total Questions in XAT Question Paper||100 – 105|
|XAT Exam 2023 Sectional Division of Test||5 Sections with different number of Questions in Each Section.|
|Section which is not counted to prepare merit for XLRI shortlisting||GK & Essay|
|XAT Exam Difficulty Level||Moderate to Difficult|
XLRI conducts Xavier Aptitude Test in the month of January every year. Along with releasing the XAT Notification 2022 and finalizing the exam date, XLRI announces the complete schedule and all important dates. Although XLRI will accept score of only Xavier Aptitude Test, the other associated top MBA colleges will accept other exam scores also. Earlier XAT exam was paper based test, but since 2018, the exam has become a computer based test. XLRI has been conducting this exam for more than 70 years on behalf of XAMI.
6. XAT 2023 Important Dates
XAT 2023 Important dates are announced by XLRI. The key important dates for XAT entrance exam 2023, last date to apply for XAT 2023, are as under:
|Xavier Aptitude Test 2023 Schedule||XAT 2023 Important Dates|
|Date of Release of XAT Notification 2023||August 9, 2022|
|XAT Registration 2023 starts||August 10, 2022 ( 12 Noon Onwards)|
|Last date for XAT 2023 Registration & Application submission online without late fee||November 30, 2022 (Till 12 midnight)|
|XAT 2023 Registration Last date with late fee||Not Announced|
|XAT Admit Card 2023 download Start Date||December 20, 2022|
|Last date to Download XAT Admit Card 2023||January 8, 2023|
|XAT Exam Date 2023||January 8, 2023 (9.30 AM to 12.40 PM)|
|XAT 2023 Result date||January 20, 2023|
7. XAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria for the Exam & For XLRI Admission
Although there is no difference in the XAT eligibility criteria 2023 for the exam and for XLRI admission 2023, following points should be kept in mind
7.1 XAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria for the Exam
- The XAT 2023 exam eligibility criteria need only a pass in your bachelor’s degree.
- XAT Eligibility 2023 does not require any minimum percentage of marks in graduation to register and apply for XAT exam, while other exams need minimum 50% percentage of marks in bachelor’s degree.
- Students in their final year of graduation can also apply
- Minimum 15 years of academic study till bachelor’s degree is required. It means you must have pursued or pursuing minimum three years of graduation degree
- XAT 2023 eligibility criteria to appear in the exam is probably the simplest one among all the National Level MBA entrance exams.
7.2 XAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria for XLRI Admission 2023
- XLRI awards weightage for academic excellence, so those with higher percentage of marks in academics stand a better chance
- Candidates with extra curricular achievements are preferred
- Academic & Gender diversity also plays major role in XLRI eligibility parameters in final merit list
8. XAT 2023 Registration Process, Fees, and Documents Required
The registration process is online and can be completed in six simple steps at XAT 2023 official website. XAT exam 2023 Registration dates are open from August to November 2022. You need to follow the undernoted process while registering & applying for the XAT exam:
- Register yourself on official XAT 2023 Exam website
- Verify Email ID on receipt of message from exam centre
- Fill all the pages of XAT Application Form online
- Upload Required Documents on relevant pages of XAT Application Form 2023
- Pay XAT Application Fee of Rs.2000/- Online
- Submit XAT Application Form Online
9. XAT Exam Pattern 2023: Questions, Sectional Division, Scoring
Xavier Aptitude Test is online computer based exam. The aggregate maximum marks in the exam are 101 for 101 questions divided in 5 sections. Each correct answer for MCQ is awarded +1 mark and each wrong answer will attract the penalty of -0.25 mark. Total time duration for the exam is 3 hours 10 minutes. XAT Exam pattern with sectional division of XAT questions and XAT exam time duration is as below:
|Exam Sections||Number of questions||Overall Time Duration|
|Part-1||75 Total MCQs||165 Minutes|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Decision Making||21||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||28||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Part-2||25 Total MCQs + Essay Writing Test||25 Minutes|
|Essay||1 Descriptive Topic||10 Minutes|
|Total questions (Part 1 + Part 2)||101|
Candidate are allowed to go to Part 2 after completing the time duration of 165 minutes in Part
9.1 XAT 2023 Exam Pattern: Key Points
Following are the key highlights and changes introduced in the XAT Exam by XLRI:
- XAT 2023 exam application fee is Rs.2000/-
- The XAT exam is now changed to a computer based test from paper based test
- XAT is now a Single slot, single day exam
- Test duration increased from 3 hours to 3 hours 10 minutes
- XAT test timing changed to 9.30AM to 12.40PM
- Total XAT questions increased to 101 from 99
- XAT Essay Writing Test Restored: The descriptive essay writing test was scrapped in 2019
- Now XAT 2023 has 100 MCQ type and 1 Descriptive Questions
- Question paper with 4 sections with MCQs and 1 section with Essay Writing Test
- The GK Section with 25 questions is not counted for percentile calculation
- Visually impaired candidates with scribe are given additional 25 minutes to solve Part 1 of the exam
- Marks for every correct answer : +1
- – 0.25 Negative Marking for wrong answer
- No Negative marking for General Knowledge and Essay writing section in part-2 of question paper
- All the MCQ type questions have five options with one correct option
- Essay shall be evaluated after the candidate is shortlisted for the interview.
- -0.10 Negative marks are awarded for every unattempted question after 8 unattempted questions
9.2 XAT 2023: 7 Key Changes in Exam Pattern during Last 4 Years
Below are shared key changes in XAT 2023 Exam & Scoring Pattern as compared to last 4 Years of XAT Exam and scoring pattern
|XAT exam year||XAT 2023||XAT 2022||XAT 2021||XAT 2020|
|Test Duration||3 Hours 10 Minutes: 9.30AM to 12.40PM||3 Hours 10 Minutes: 9.30AM to 12.40PM||3 Hours:9.30AM to 12.30PM||3 Hours:9.30AM to 12.30 PM|
|Number of Sections||5||5||4||4|
|Number of Questions||101||101||100||99|
|Type of Questions||MCQs-100; Descriptive-1||MCQs-100; Descriptive-1||MCQs||MCQs|
|Subjective Answer Questions||1 (Essay Writing )||1 (Essay Writing Test)||No||No|
|Maximum marks||100 (Essay Evaluation after shortlisting by XLRI)||100 (Essay Evaluation after shortlisting by XLRI)||100||99|
|Penalty for Leaving Questions Unattempted||0.10 Negative marks penalty for every unattempted question after 8 unattempted questions||0.10 Negative marks penalty for every unattempted question after 8 unattempted questions||Not Announced||0.10 Negative marks penalty for every unattempted question after 8 unattempted questions|
9.3 XLRI: Searching for Cream of Talent
Xavier Aptitude Test is the MBA entrance exam which attracts the cream of talent in India. The admission to XLRI is possible only through high scores in the entrance exam. Return on investment at XLRI is high. 2 years fee and other expenses at XLRI come to around Rs.24 lakhs. Top recruiters from India and the world eye XLRI for their placement season. The offered salary packages go as high as Rs.25 to 35 lakhs per annum to the students of XLRI, XIMB, IMT among others who offer admission on the basis of XAT exam scores.
9.4 XAT Exam Offers Level Playing Field
XLRI believes that single testing session with same difficulty level will provide level playing field to all the test takers without any discrimination. Around 90 thousand to 1 lakh candidates explore admission opportunities in XLRI and other member and associate MBA colleges accepting the XAT exam scores. The exam date is same across the country. On a single date, the exam will be held in 72 test cities in India. .
10. XAT Syllabus 2023
XAT Exam Syllabus 2023 is divided into 4 sections – Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension; Decision Making, Quantitative Aptitude and General Awareness. Except the General Awareness, all the other three are core sections which determine the percentile score as well as XLRI shortlisting criteria. The score of General Awareness section is taken into account at the time of personal Interview round.
Since 2021, XLRI has again introduced the descriptive essay writing section in XAT Syllabus. However, this section also does not count for XAT percentile calculation.
A clear understanding of updated XAT syllabus and exam structure before beginning your preparation is very important. Accordingly, key changes in syllabus, important topics are some of the important things you should know before preparing as per the exam syllabus
10.1 Most Important Sections in XAT Syllabus 2023
- The Xavier Aptitude Syllabus 2023 will overall test the candidate on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation as the key sections to determine your percentile and merit position.
- The other section on General Awareness (GK) does not have any pre defined syllabus nor it is counted for percentile calculation.
- The Decision Making section in XAT Syllabus is unique as other MBA entrance exams like CAT/NMAT/SNAP do not consist of such section. XAT toppers are of the view that those who score well in Decision Making section of XAT, have more chances to score high overall and get shortlisted by XLRI
- Please also note that each question carries equal marks, so except GK section the other three sections are equally important parts in XAT syllabus.
11. XAT 2023 Preparation Strategy: How to Prepare for XAT 2023?
Xavier Aptitude Test comprises 3 major sections which are very important for shortlisting and determining your merit position. The 4th & 5th sections on GK and Essay Writing are not taken in account to determine the merit. The XAT 2023 preparation strategy and books for XAT exam preparation should be in accordance with revised pattern of the entrance exam and as per XAT entrance exam syllabus. XAT exam preparation calls for special preparation for Decision Making section apart from other topics. You need to focus on following while preparing for the XAT exam:
- Follow the Exam Pattern: Thoroughly understand the structure, number and type of questions
- Scan thoroughly the XAT exam Syllabus
- Decide, if you need Online preparation with coaching or wish to self-prepare for the exam
- Get best XAT preparation Books for exam preparation
- Attempt XAT Mock Tests in good number and analyse each
- Attempt as many as Previous XAT question papers
- Devise XAT preparation strategy to crack the exam with 95+ percentile
11.1 XAT 2023 Mock Test Available: Attempt and Check your Preparation Level
XLRI releases official Mock Test without answer keys in the 3rd week of December. This official Mock test is the best guide to prepare for the exam. However, the Mock Test released by XLRI is without solution. To help you prepare for the exam, MBAUniverse.com has provided number of free Mock Tests with answer keys. These XAT Mock Tests are of low to high difficulty level.
The experts have prepared these full length XAT Mock Tests with answers which can be used as guide for exam paper. These free XAT Mock Tests will enable the test takers to become conversant with the XAT exam pattern and type of questions expected in the exam. The assessment after attempting each Mock will help you in predicting your Percentile also.
12. XAT Admit Card 2023: How to Download XAT 2023 Admit Card?
XLRI will release XAT Admit card 2023 likely on December 24, 2022 on the official XAT 2023 exam website. Only those who have successfully registered and applied for XAT 2023 and have paid exam fees, can download XAT admit card from the official XAT website onlinexat.in. No hardcopy of admit card will be sent to you
13. XAT 2023 Exam Centers
XLRI will conduct XAT 2023 exam in 72 cities across the country at more than 100 test venues. There may not be International test cities for XAT 2023. Earlier XAT was also conducted in Dubai (UAE) and Kathmandu (Nepal).
In view of rising number of applicants, XLRI has increased the number of test cities to 72 from earlier 46 XAT exam cities. XAT 2023 test takers can choose two preferred test cities while applying for XAT 2023 exam. The name & address of the XAT 2023 test centre allotted to you will be indicated in your XAT Admit Card. To check important details about the XAT test cities 2023,
14. XAT 2023 Answer Key
XAT 2023 Answer Key will be released wthin 2-3 days after the XAT exam date. It is expected that XLRI will release the XAT Answer key 2023 on January 10, 2023. Last year XAT answer key was released on January 3, 2022 within a day of conducting XAT exam on Jan 2. You can check your Answer Keys on XAT official website. Only those candidates who have appeared in XAT 2023 can view and download both the Official XAT Answer Key as well as their Individual Responses to XAT Questions. It will help you calculate your XAT score and likely percentile also
14.1 XAT 2023 Answer Key: Key Highlights
- There are 4-5 sets of XAT question paper. XLRIreleases the XAT answer key for all sets of XAT questions paper
- As GK & Essay Writing Tests are not counted for percentile calculation, XLRI does not release XAT answer key for GK questions and Essay Writing Test in XAT exam
- Accordingly, XAT Answer key is released only for three sections which have negative marking – namely, Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation
15. XAT Result 2023
XLRI releases XAT result much before the pre-announced date. It is expected that XAT 2023 exam result can be released by January 20 instead of the last week of January 2023. Last year also XAT result was released on January 17, 2022 instead of last week of Jan 2022. After verification of objections on XAT answer key, the XAT result is released by XLRI.
You can download your XAT score card by login to XAT website with your XAT 2023 registration ID and the XAT password after release of XAT result. Shortly after release of XAT result 2023, XLRI will announce XAT cut offs 2023 for shortlisting purpose for different PGDM programs. Individual messages to shortlisted candidates will also be sent by XLRI
16. XAT 2023 score Accepting Colleges
There are 160+ XAT 2023 score accepting colleges. These MBA colleges will accept the XAT exam score for MBA admission 2023. Some of the top MBA colleges accepting XAT exam score for MBA admission 2023 are:
- XLRI Jamshedpur
- IMT Ghaziabad
- XIM Bhubaneswar
- IMI New Delhi
- LBSIM New Delhi
- TAPMI Manipal
- XIME Bangalore, Kochi, Chennai
- BIMTECH, Greater Noida
- FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- GIM Goa
- Great Lakes, Chennai
- LIBA Chennai
16.1 XLRI & Other Top MBA Colleges: Fee, Intake, Programs offered
Check below the fee, number of seats and programmes offered by MBA colleges accepting XAT 2023 score for MBA admission 2023
|Institute Name||Fee (Rs.in Lakhs)*||Seats*||Flagship PGDM Programme|
|XLRI Jamshedpur||23.60||360||PGDM-BM; PGDM-HR|
|IRMA Anand (Gujarat)||15.25||180||PGDRM|
17. XAT 2023 Selection Process
On the basis of Xavier Aptitude Test 2023 result, XAT 2023 selection process at XLRI and in other top B-schools will begin. At XLRI the selection procedure is more governed by its admission policy. The other 160 members and associate B-schools will also select the candidates on the basis of XAT exam percentile score and as per their final admission round.
Good performance in the Xavier Aptitude Test and obtaining high score in it, is the mandatory requirement in the XLRI selection process for its highly ranked PGDM programme. The first step to participate in XLRI 2023 Selection procedure is to apply for the XAT exam and to apply simultaneously to XLRI Jamshedpur through the same application form. Apart from XLRI Jamshedpur, there are more than 160 MBA/PGDM colleges including IMT Ghaziabad, XIM Bhubaneswar, GIM Goa, Great Lakes Chennai, TAPMI Manipal, LIBA Chennai, BIMTECH Greater Noida, FORE New Delhi among others who will participate in XAT 2023 selection procedure for MBA admission 2023.
17.1 XAT 2023 Selection Process: Stages of Selection Procedure
There are six main stages of XLRI selection process:
- Submit the XAT 2023 Registration and Application Form latest by the last date
- Apply to XLRI through same application form. For other institutes use their application form
- Appear in the XAT exam on January 8, 2023
- Check your score on release of XAT Result
- Check your place in Shortlist and participate in GD-PI-WAT of XLRI selection process
- Check Final admission offer and pay acceptance fee by the stipulated date
17.2 XAT Cut Off 2023
XAT cut offs for admission to XLRI PGDM and PGDM-HRM programs are announced immediately after declaration of XAT result. Following cut offs were announced by XLRI for BM and HRM 2022-24 Batch. It is expected that same XAT cut offs may be applied for admission 2023
17.2.1 XLRI PGDM-BM : XAT Cut offs
Below are the expected sectional and overall XAT cut offs for PGDM-BM 2023-25 Batch
|Sectional & Overall Cut offs||XAT Cut off for Male Candidates||XAT Cut off for Female Candidates|
17.2.2 XLRI PGDM-HRM 2023-25 Batch: XAT Cut offs
Below are expected XAT sectional and overall cut offs for PGDM-HRM 2023-25 batch for XLRI Jamshedpur
|Sectional & Overall Cut offs||Male (Engg)||Female (Engg)||Male (Non Engg)||Female (Non-Engg)|